social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

MOO-VELLOUS AUTHORS: Heidi McLaughlin

Today's moo-vellous author is USA Today, Amazon and Barnes & Noble Best Selling Author Heidi McLaughlin. Heidi is the author of The Beaumont Series, consisting of Forever My Girl, My Everything, My Unexpected Forever and Finding My Forever. She also has a standalone novel, Lost in You.



Author Interview

What were your favourite books as a child, and have they influenced the way you write today?

My favorite book is Are you there God? It’s me, Margaret. And anything else Judy Blume wrote.

What is a typical writing day like for you? When and where do you write? Do you follow a regular routine?

I try to have a regular routine, but it doesn’t always work that way. Ideally, I write from 9 pm – 11 pm, once my kids have gone to bed. Sometimes I have time during the day, or will write before my daughters basketball game.

Do you set a daily writing goal?

I do, it helps me stay on task.

What motivates you to write?

Music, pictures – I need to visualize certain moments so I’ll google images to see how a scene can play out.

What is the hardest part of writing for you?

Time is my enemy. I have a ton of books I want to write, but I still work a full-time job so time is the hardest part for me.

Have you ever suffered from writer’s block? If so, how did you overcome it?

I have an extraordinary beta. Yvie has been with me from the first moment I sent her chapter one of a story I wrote. We do everything from naming the characters to setting the town the stories will take place in. She’s my constant and will fire back any and every question so I can fill in the holes.

How did you come up with your book title(s) and/or series names?

Forever My Girl  was actually named something else when I first wrote it. Jillian Dodd suggested a name change due to a line I had written. Same things with My Unexpected Forever, it had a different title that my agent (at the time) didn’t like so I asked a few people for some suggestions. Finding My Forever created itself and Finding My Way is pretty much what Liam has done.

The Beaumont Series – is a funnier story. A lot of people think the story takes place in Beaumont, TX and if I had to do it all over again, I’d probably pick a location so I can visit, but when I was writing Forever My Girl a few of my friends said Liam was hot – hence Beau and I live in Vermont – Mont. And I’m a huge football fan. My husband coaches high school football.

Do you have favourite character from your own book(s) and why?

Picking a character would be like picking one of my daughters as my favourite. It’s impossible. I could say Liam because he started it. Harrison because he’s like the perfect guy. Jimmy because he’s sweet and sensitive. But the truth is, each character holds a special place. It’s like having one giant family.

Can you describe your writing style in 25 words or less?

Crazy, emotional and sometimes sporadic.

If you were to write an autobiography, what would it’s title be?

The Real Me

What are your current favourite books and authors?

Oh boy… I love Kimberly Derting, Rae Carson, Wendy Higgins – their series are beyond fantastic. I’m currently fangirling over Beth Ehemann and Caisey Quinn. I adore Jen McLaughlin (my sister from another mister) and Beth Michele. I admire Tara Sivec, Emily Snow, Michelle Valentine. I bow down to Tammara Weber and Abbi Glines whose books I’ve read multiple times. It’s hard to pick an author or book, but I’m a fan of all genres and can recommend just about anything.

Do you have any unique talents or hobbies?

My only talent is to let my mind wander and create scenarios.

My hobbies are reading, writing, watching basketball, hockey and football ß- boring, right? Except that’s where I come up with my story lines J

Quick Questions:

E-book or print?

Both! I will read my print book and switch to an ebook when the lights go out.

Favourite colour?

Purple

Favourite season?

Summer

Favourite holiday?

Christmas

Coke or Pepsi?

Neither, Sprite Zero

Tea or coffee?

Neither

Dogs or cats?

Dogs

Vampire/Werewolf/Zombie?

Let’s see I know a few vampires and a few werewolves and have never met a Zombie – and my vampires are a bit nicer – so I’m going with Vampire!



Author Information







Book Links









Forever My Girl (The Beaumont Series #1):


My Everything (The Beaumont Series #1.5):


My Unexpected Forever (The Beaumont Series #2):


Finding My Forever (The Beaumont Series #3):


Lost in You:

Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide