social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

REVIEW: Running on Empty (Mending Hearts #1) by L.B. Simmons




Synopsis

I had the perfect life.

Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls.
Successful career.

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence.

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse.

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way.

The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up? 





My Thoughts

Alex is a single mother of three girls. She lost her husband three years ago and has relied on her best friend Harlow to help her with her kids and to just be there for her. Running late for work one morning, Alex runs out of gas on the highway. With her attempt to flag down help, a motorcycle stops. The man that gets off the motorcycle is her childhood friend Blake.

Blake was just getting back into town when he was flagged down. Alex was the last person he expected to see stranded on the side of the road. He gives her a ride to work and retrieves her car later in the day for her. 

Alex is determined NOT to accept Blake's help. She doesn't need a knight in shining armor to rescue her. She is coping well on her own, with the support of Harlow. As Blake and Alex rekindle their friendship, Alex realises that Blake is making her feel again. She didn't realise how empty her heart had become. Can Alex find the courage to step outside her comfort zone and learn to feel, love and live again?

I absolutely LOVED Alex and Blake's story. Alex's daughters were adorable, and the adult characters were easy to connect with and love. Running on Empty by L.B. Simmons was beautiful, heart warming story of lost love and a rekindled friendship that becomes something more. It was a beautiful and emotional read.

Well I'm off to dive into the Recovery, the next book in Alex and Blake's story!


My Rating


Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide