social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

REVIEW: Out of Place by Shane Scollins




Synopsis

Emily Bontrager just graduated high school near the top of her class. She’ll be leaving for Yale in a few weeks but she wanted one more trip to the beach with her friends.

Zack Anderson just graduated Princeton. He’s on his way to something, he just doesn’t know what, but he wanted one more camping weekend in the woods with his friends.

There’s no chance these two divergent courses of life should intersect, but they do, in the most impossible place, under the most horrific circumstances.

With a heavily armed madman on their heels, Zack and Emily find themselves running for their lives in the deep woods of Virginia near the Appalachian Trail, with nothing but their wits to survive. The wilderness is unforgiving, their pursuer is relentless and at some point, their luck is going to run out.

All they have is each other, and an absolute refusal to die.


 


My Thoughts

I was in a "book slump" and didn't know what I wanted to read next out of the 800+ books that are on my Kindle. I didn't even know what I was in the mood for. I knew I wanted to read something a little different from the usual romance novel, and I settled on reading this.

I was not disappointed!

Emily Bontrager has just finished high school. Before she and her friends go their separate ways to college, they decide that one last weekend away at the beach is in order. What is supposed to be a weekend of fun turns into tragedy. Emily witnesses her best friends get gunned down in their motel room, and is kidnapped by the gunman.

Zack Anderson is on a similar weekend with his mates. They have just graduated college and take a weekend away before they go their separate ways for their future careers. They go hiking on the Appalachian Trail, and decide to take the less popular route.

In a string of events that Zack could never imagine, he also witnesses his friends get gunned down. He and Emily are thrown into a situation that has them running for their lives through dense woods and trying to stay one step ahead of their hunter.

So again, Out Of Place is a little off the romance track, but I don't mind the occasional mystery, horror or suspense for a bit of a change. And I loved this book! 

We do find out quite early on who the gunman/kidnapper is. But in learning that, you know that there is going to be a lot more to the story. And there is.

Just when I thought I had it figured out, BOOM! Plot twist! And then the plot twisted again, and again. But it never threw me off the story. The twists were done in a way that kept me hooked. And no matter what I thought was going to happen, I was always wrong.

Shane Scollins did an amazing job at keeping me guessing what was going to happen next.

The characters were very well developed and I easily connected to them. The story line may be a little far fetched to some, but hey, it COULD happen. It held my attention the whole way through.

But...

I was left wanting more. There is no cliffhanger, this book does end quite well, but I wanted more of Emily and Zack. I want to know what's in store for them in the future. :-)



My Rating



Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide