social icons

search

The Reading Cow

Read 'til the cows come home...

more from the blog

REVIEW: Asking for It (Asking for It #1) by Lilah Pace


Synopsis

“This is who I am. This is what I want. Now I need a man dangerous enough to give it to me.”

Graduate student Vivienne Charles is afraid of her own desires—ashamed to admit that she fantasizes about being taken by force, by a man who will claim her completely and without mercy. When the magnetic, mysterious Jonah Marks learns her secret, he makes an offer that stuns her: they will remain near-strangers to each other, and meet in secret so that he can fulfill her fantasy.

Their arrangement is twisted. The sex is incredible. And—despite their attempts to stay apart—soon their emotions are bound together as tightly as the rope around Vivienne’s wrists. But the secrets in their pasts threaten to turn their affair even darker...

Reader Advisory: Asking for It deals explicitly with fantasies of non-consensual sex. Readers sensitive to portrayals of non-consensual sex should be advised.



Purchase @ Amazon

My Thoughts

So this is the book that everyone is currently talking about. The "rape" book. I must say, that I am a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I did thoroughly enjoy it, but I did lose interest at about 75% of the way through. I could have easily put the book down there and not bothered reading the rest. But, I am glad that I stuck it out and finished.

I won't retell the story. I went in to this book having read the blurb and reading a little of the talk online about it, but I feel that it is a book that is best going in to knowing as little about it as possible - besides the warnings. Please, take note of them, this book will not be for everyone.

The characters were very well developed, and I connected with them easily. Each character fit in to the story perfectly, and the supporting characters were just as lovable as Jonah and Vivienne.

The story kept me engrossed for the most part. As I mentioned earlier, I did lose interest for a bit there. Why? I guess it's because I actually started to feel annoyed at Viv and the sex scenes, although they progressively got more violent and the situation of their "game" changed each time, the whole "rape" thing began to feel a little repetitive. I guess that because I have never experienced anything like that myself, for a bit there, I couldn't relate. Although I connected with her character, I couldn't relate. Do you know what I mean?

Asking for It is definitely a unique story. Lilah Pace's writing was amazing, and I will DEFINITELY be purchasing the second book when it is released. I am curious to know what is in store for Viv and Jonah next.

My Rating


Comments

Profile Photo

The Reading Cow

Profile Bio

My name is Kylie and I live in the state of Victoria, Australia.

I am a wife, mother of 3, lover of books and a Kindle 1-Click addict!

Instagram

Currently Reading

Goodreads Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge

2022 Reading Challenge
Kylie Lacovich has read 0 books toward her goal of 40 books.
hide